Tampa Out of State DUI Lawyer
Out of State Representation for Florida DUI
Unfortunately, many arrests relating to driving under the influence do not occur while in your own 湖南福彩网app官方下载 town. In fact, in many cases you may be arrested while traveling for business, vacationing or otherwise not at 湖南福彩网app官方下载. This can take a complicated situation and just further complicate it.
You may have a lot of questions in a situation such as:
- Do I work with a local attorney?
- Can I go back 湖南福彩网app官方下载?
- What happens to my license?
- Do I need to show up for court?
The Tampa DUI lawyer湖南福彩网app官方下载s at Thomas & Paulk, P.A. can answer these questions and more as your DUI defense attorneys. Our firm has handled thousands of cases after more than 20 years of combined practice, many of them on behalf of defendants who don’t live in Tampa at all. We regularly handle (and win) cases for people who were arrested while passing through, saving them a great deal of time, money, and effort. As former prosecutors, our firm knows the legal landscape, and we use our knowledge to help our clients avoid serious penalties or life-altering convictions.
Thomas & Paulk, P.A.understands the problems you are facing and will do everything possible to combat it. You can trust in our legal team to help answer every question that you find yourself facing.
Arrested for DUI While Visiting Tampa Bay?
n the state of Florida, out of state DUIs are handled very specifically. To understand how this is handled, it is important to note that Florida is both a member of the Driver's License Compact (DLC), as well as the Non-Resident Violators Compact (NRVC).
Both of these compacts are explained below:
- Driver's License Compact (DLC): This compact is shared by 45 states in the U,S. It operates under the theme of "One Driver, One License, One Record" and works to help create consistency with the way that states throughout the country湖南福彩网app官方下载 handle out of state traffic violations. This interstate compact requires for its members to exchange information with other member-states whenever a non-resident is arrested or cited. Then, the 湖南福彩网app官方下载 state of the defendant would treat it as if the offense had happened on 湖南福彩网app官方下载 turf—including penalties and driver's license suspension—as well as points being placed on the driver's license.
- Non-Resident Violators Compact (NRVC): This compact is shared across only 44 states; it was created in 1970s and is used to help with the processing of citations that occur across state borders. For example, if a motorist is cited in a state that is not their own, and they choose to ignore the ticket, the state where the citation occurred would inform their 湖南福彩网app官方下载 state. The motorist's 湖南福彩网app官方下载 state would then take action—likely suspending their license. While some traffic violations do not fall under its scope, many do. The focus remains on moving violations.
to see the members of the DLC and NRVC.
Helping Non-Residents with a Tampa DUI Arrest
Dealing with an out of state DUI is even more complex than a regular DUI and requires an experienced attorney to help untangle the legal issues. At Thomas & Paulk, P.A., we have handled thousands of DUIs and are well-versed in the laws surrounding the DLC and NRVC. If you have questions about how dealing with an out of state DUI will affect your case, you should not hesitate to contact an attorney from our firm. We can also work with you when you are facing criminal charges and can help you determine the best course of action. We can help explain questions such as what to expect and whether you need to appear in court. In situations where we can represent you without you needing to be there, we will gladly handle the situation for you. At every step of the case, you can rest assured that you will be guided and cared for.
Don't be overwhelmed by the law. We know what's at stake and we are here to provide you with the care and guidance that you deserve. Call (813) 321-7323 today.
Drunk driving cases may or many not require a formal trial. We discuss what most can expect in terms of the process and duration of their DUI case.
At Thomas & Paulk, one of our primary focuses is on the defense of DUI charges. In fact, we are recognized throughout the Tampa area as one of the premier DUI defense law firms. Our team is well-versed in this area of the law and has a wide-expanse of experience in helping our clients fight against such charges.
It doesn’t matter if this is your first offense or your third, you can count on our firm to have the experience to protect your legal rights. Often, our defense starts with recounting with you how the police officer came to stop you in the first place and how he or she came to believe you may be under the influence of alcohol. If the stop was illegal, or the tests were improperly administered, we may be able to argue for the dismissal of that evidence in court, helping your chances of a dropped charge.
The important thing is that you act quickly. Criminal cases involving charges of drinking and driving are serious and they can move fast. You cannot afford to wait or ignore your charges. You need a legal professional on your side who truly understands what you're facing so that they can offer you experience counsel and sound advice. To learn more about how a lawyer湖南福彩网app官方下载 like this can assist with your case, we encourage you to contact湖南福彩网app官方下载 as soon as possible. Call our Tampa DUI defense attorneys at Thomas & Paulk today to schedule an initial consultation. This is a completely free, confidential appointment for you to tell us your side of the story.
If you're arrested for DUI, you only have 10 days to schedule a DMV hearing where you can fight to save your license.
A blood alcohol reading of 0.15% or more can warrant an aggravated DUI charge with harsher penalties.
Each year, Hillsborough County issues around 4,000 DUI citations. Out of these, more than 3,000 are found guilty.
Per Florida's zero-tolerance policy, anyone under the age of 21 who tests positive for any measurable blood alcohol can be charged with DUI.